Momentum: The Double-Edged Sword
Do you know what's funny? If you ever watch football, the analysts will say the team that’s winning always has the "momentum" and the team that’s losing doesn’t have any at all.
The only problem with this analysis is that it’s incorrect.
There are two key reasons for this:
1. Let’s say a football team is marching down the field and shredding the opposing defense. Does this mean that the defense is incapable of drawing up a play to create a stop or a turnover? Nope. The last play … or the last 20 plays … have no bearing on the outcome of the next one. In other words, momentum can be stopped -- or started -- at any time.
2. Doesn’t the team that’s getting rolled have momentum, too … in a bad way? Yup. Momentum is the ultimate double-edged sword. It can work for you, and it can most certainly work against you.
What does this have to do with the current state of your health and fitness?
It’s important to remember that momentum comes from action … and it also can come from inaction. So if you’re in a groove with consistent workouts, getting plenty of sleep, and prepping your healthy meals, you’ve got momentum.
And if you’re not, you also have momentum … in the wrong direction.
The good thing about momentum is that it can be perpetuated indefinitely if the actions that caused it to continue to happen.
This is also the bad thing about momentum … because if you’re in a period of inaction (or negative actions), those, too, can be perpetuated … and the momentum can be hard to stop.
So if you’re in a groove with your workouts and nutrition, you already know the actions that created your momentum, and it becomes easier to keep the ball rolling.
But I want you to know that if you’re in a rut and need a fresh start or a reset, you have the ability to stop the negative momentum.
To use my football analogy, you can call a different play, execute it better, or both.
You can make a new decision and take one action that will stop the momentum and turn the tide in your favor.
Just remember that regardless of which way the momentum is going for you at the moment, you can either keep it going or change it.
The choice is yours.
P.S. Whenever you're ready, here are 3 ways I can help you set up healthier habits and break bad behaviors so you can lose weight around the waist and gain inches on the arms:
1. Listen to my latest podcast appearance
Recently I had the pleasure of being invited to the Project Evolve Podcast to share some Pro Tips on how you can easily set yourself up with success in whatever habits you want to implement in your life. This is a great listen for your next commute or when are working at home. You can check it out HERE. (Make sure to like and subscribe).
2. Work with me 1-on-1.
If you have some issues and you want my direct input and guidance, just reply to this "Hey Coach" and tell me what you're struggling with or by scheduling a Strategy Session with me below. It's that simple.
3. Join my FB coaching group.
We all need support. So why not jump into a motivated community of like-minded fathers to build CONSISTENCY with the habits that you want to instill to reach your goals, led by Yours Truly? This isn't for everyone- To qualify you must: 1. Be a Dad
2. Share with me what your goals are 3. Agree to be disciplined for the next 14 days
4. Tell me your best "Dad Joke" You'll hop on a 10-minute audition call with me to go over these 4 things. If I feel like it's a good fit for you, you'll be invited to the Facebook Group "The Disciplined Dad Experiment" where you can participate in my 14-day challenge to get a head start in chasing your goals. You won't run the race alone- we will run it together and support each other along the way.
I'll be there every day to give you everything you need to succeed - Meal plans, Tips, Motivation, Accountability, and Support. Iron sharpens Iron so as one man sharpens another (Proverbs 27:17). Let's stop trying to figure out and fix everything on our own- Let's win together.
If you are interested in being a part of The Disciplined Dad Experiment, reply to this with the word "Discipline" and I'll fill you in on the details and schedule your call.
Many people wish they started sooner. Almost nobody wished they started later. Book your appointment now so you can start becoming the change you want to be. For my fellow Fathers who dare to get better, Coach Ryan Collins